The Italian automobile company Piaggio introduced the Vespa scooter in 1946 after World War 2 as a solution to the public for affordable and modern mode of transportation. The first version of the Vespa was presented to the media in a Golf Club located in Rome which provided positive feedback for its exterior design and overall size.
Some more positive feedback was provided after road tests were performed, labelling the Vespa scooter as a maneuverable and comfortable vehicle despite its lack of rear suspension. It became a sales success after it was officially debuted at the Milan Fair of 1946 with a 96cc engine which drove the rear wheel via a 3-speed manual transmission.
The Vespa 150 (VB1)
The VB was the successor to the VL "Struzzo"in the 150 range and the last wideframe Piaggio model (with the exception of the GS).
Changes incorporated to the VB included:
- The cables and wiring harness were routed in the frame tunnel
- Handlebars were designed as closed die cast aluminium units
This model of Vespa is a 1958 VB1 150cc 2-stroke and comes with the original operation and maintenance handbook.
We purchased this example 5 years ago from the second owner who owned it since 1960. He mentioned that in the early 1960's his son spray painted this Vespa in the colours of Camps Bay High School and it retains these colours today
In the early 1960's a photo of him, his wife and their dog was featured in the Cape Town newspaper and he enjoyed this Vespa until he was over 80 years old.
It retains a characterful patina from being stored in the wooden garages in Clifton and we entered it in the annual Oily Rag run several times which it completed successfully from Franschhoek to the Crossley & Webb in Cape Town