The Jaguar MKV is another in a long history of Luxury vehicles build by Jaguar Cars Ltd. Built in Coventry England between 1948 and 1951, the MKV came out in two variants, namely the 4-door Saloon and Drophead Coupe. It was launched on 27th October 1948 at the London Motor show and shared the spotlight and stage, with the all new Jaguar XK120.
The name behind the MKV/MK5, was due to the company creating five prototype models between 1946 and 1948, experimenting with different chassis configurations before officially releasing the production ready model.
The MKV provided many firsts for Jaguar which included:
- The first vehicle to have independent front suspension
- The first vehicle to have hydraulic brakes
- The first with fender skirts
- The first Jaguar to be offered in both left and right hand drive configurations
- First with disc centre wheels
- The first to be offered with sealed headlamps and flashing indicators made specifically for the American automobile market
The Jaguar MKV’s powerplants were the last pushrod engines that Jaguar offered in their vehicles before going to their new overhead camshaft engines. The 2.5 and 3.5 litre ohv engines that were also used in the predecessor models produced 102 bhp (2.5L) and 125bhp (3.5L) and provided drive to the rear wheels via a four-speed manual gearbox. This combination resulted in the MKV reaching a top speed of 146km/h as tested by a publication in 1949 when they have tested a 3.5L model.
The MKV’s road holding features a new chassis frame with deep box sections and cross bracing along with double wishbone independent front suspension to improve overall stiffness and therefore, improving the handling and cornering characteristics. This setup was used for future Jaguar models since being used in the MKV.